Category: community (Page 2 of 2)

Love in a garage sale group

My friends Kristy and Megan turned me toward the County Garage Sale trend at differing times, but now I regularly browse through the Facebook groups to see what’s offered that I need love. And, much like the rest of my life, it’s become a huge science experiment. Y’all, people are fascinating.

But now I’m sad.

First, there was this:

garage sale church.jpg

This one caught my eye first because it was about church and, on the whole, I seem to be about church. But the more I got to thinking about it, the more this post broke my heart.

Here was this person living through a difficult time. She decides that she needs to go to church to see if that won’t help – a noble and not always easy decision.

And she doesn’t know a single real-live person to ask where to go.

She asks a bunch of people who buy and sell junk together.

My friends, this is a problem.

It’s not a problem because the Garage Sale sites need to become our next marketing target – it’s a problem because the people going to the 109 churches of Miami County don’t know her personally, or not one of them has made it known to this woman that they do indeed attend and that she is welcome to join. Our circles don’t connect or even touch. The only place she can find someone who *might* go to church is on a garage sale site.

My science experiment moved forward a few weeks later:

garage sale need

Right there, among the Longaberger baskets, was a kind woman trying to help a family with children who had nothing. They needed food, clothes, toothpaste and all the very things we keep in stock because it’s on sale. And when looking for people to help contribute, the coordinator turned to: the garage sale site. Of course. Because people who sell crap are known among the world for helping the down and out. The church has no history there.

*Hangs head in shame.*

Finally, when my heart was already torn, a post stomped it into oblivion. It said, “are there any shelters in Troy for women and children?”

Until I joined a garage sale site, I didn’t realize how I surrounded myself with people who were just like me. I inadvertently thought we were all parents of toddlers who liked buying and eating local. I’ve realized I’m basically only around people who want to live into a better world and have the money to make decisions that will help them do it. We talk about our love for maxi skirts and disciplining kids and how hard it is to live your values. I wanted to believe we all have our “differences” but really, that comes down to meaningless stuff like if we were sprinkle-baptized or dunked, or maybe we choose to eat dairy-free instead of McDonalds.

Yesterday, along with these sites, revealed to me just how unlike Jesus I really am.

If all you do is love the loveable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.

It’s not my lack of helping people unlike myself. It’s not even my good intention-paved road.  It’s my lack of knowing people unlike myself that keeps me from living the gospel.

The Original Comfort Food

Somewhere on my resume I need to include under “strengths” my ability to lactate. I now have the prerequisite “3-5 years experience” which would qualify me under a professional title, yes? And in those years of experience I’ve noticed trends. Notably is a small child’s attempt to eat even when s/he’s not hungry.

Take, for instance, a few nights ago when Baby M woke 4 times between 11:30-4. Of course, he refused to go back to sleep without a snack. My current style of parenting finds that snacking gets me back to sleep quicker than crying, so he enjoyed a few midnight snacks. But I. Was. Tired. 
The boy finds himself in a mean streak of teething and mama seems to be the best form of comfort. He doesn’t need food, he needs love and to be understood that yes, this sucks, you are not alone and I wish I could help. While all of those things are true, he doesn’t know how to experience them without something as comforting as a full belly. 
While it’s easy to blame evolution for my penchant for an evening nosh, we may have unknowingly stumbled into a habit of mistaking a full tummy for a full heart. And now the two things seem so easily interchangeable.

Perhaps this is why a fine banquet or dinner out has become so desirable – we cannot help but delight in the tastes of a delicious dish while enjoying company and conversation. It’s why eating alone becomes an acquired skill some feel shamed in adapting.

Food seems second nature to company, they come one with the other. And in our desire for one, we regularly get the other. Which means in our desire for one, we often reach for another. Perhaps, much like my 8-month-old, we don’t know if we need something to fill our heart or our belly. 

Roots and leaves

I used to believe that a community was a place you lived. It included the grocer who sold your food, the librarian who kept you abreast the newest releases, the hardware owners who changed the sign each week as the football team took on another league challenge and the church you attended, even if at irregular intervals. It was the old guy who called your dad when you ran a stop sign, the piano teacher who drove you home after you rode your bike to town chasing after the dog, only to realize you couldn’t bike home with dog in tow. Community was the volunteer firefighter who selected the sub-par warm-up music before your basketball games and the local farmer who earned a ringside seat at those games in exchange for keeping people from walking across the end of the gym.

Community was this group of people that were placed in your path simply because you shared space. Specifically State Routes 292 and 31.
Today pushed me over the edge in redefining community. My FB feed filled with wonderful memories of a young boy and the family that loved him so. I only knew Elliot as a tangent acquaintance. He was the rowdy boy who attended many of the same USHS sporting events as I, both rooting at the cross country meet or even a jr. high girls basketball game. His disposition despite challenges made him known and loved by many of the people that I know and love.
So at first I thought it strange that I would mourn such a social acquaintance. This boy, this friend of friends, 3rd-degree-somewhat-removed, sat heavy on my heart. But upon reflection, I realize that when even a singular piece of a community is removed, the entire community hurts. It shares pain, sheds tears and more than anything wants to soothe the raw wound.
Upper Sandusky stole such a large piece of my heart, even for just the 5 years I bore the address. In so many ways my life and my spirit became intertwined with these people in ways that distance does not sever. And now, with many thanks to FB, I still feel connected from afar. I see the events in the lives of those I prayed for, with and on behalf of. I’ve heard their joy or, at this moment, I sense and share their heartache.
Community is no longer the geography in which we find ourselves; it’s the lives we allow to intersect – dare I say invade – our own. Community is not only the faces we see downtown but those that come to mind as we pray, think, read, work and live. They are the individuals who shape you and form you. They are the people who stand out in fond memories, even the seemingly insignificant ones. And in the realm of small towns, they are the cousins and in-laws and students of teachers and in-laws and friends.
So tonight I hurt with and on behalf of those loved ones afar, and I believe I join many diasporic Upper Sanduskians in doing so. Even though we don’t share space on a map, community has become, to me, those who share roots in the places where you’ve not just grown up but also grown into your life as you know it.
Newer posts »

© 2024 Michele Minehart

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑